Friday, January 16, 2009

Shoofly Pie, by Tim Downs

There are people who have social issues. Forensic entomologist (a.k.a. "Bug Man") Nick Polchak is one of them. He doesn't "do" people. Can't stand being around them, really. He'd prefer to spend his time with his bugs. Unfortunately (for him) one of Kathryn Guilford's friends has been murdered... well, "allegedly" murdered and she needs Nick's help finding out exactly what happened. Oh! Did I mention she has a pathological fear of all insects? Oh, yeah. She does.

He may not be exactly famous, but Tim Downs is one fantastic writer. His books are along the same lines of the extremely popular TV shows CSI, Cold Case, Bones and others. Why is there such a fascination with forensics now days? Eh, beats me. All I know is that those are some of my favorite TV shows and this is one of my favorite series of books. Tim Downs is in no way rude, crude, gross or anything like that-- just very factual. His books are sold in Christian bookstores, but don't necessarily "preach", which is a very rare characteristic. There aren't necessarily any surprise twists, bit Downs does a good job of writing a very fascinating type of story that I've already read about 7 times... and I'm getting ready to read it again.

Thumbs Up!

No comments: